Athleisure is, as recent sales figures would suggest, the hare to denim’s tortoise. A recent market research report revealed that while jeans was one of the apparel categories that sold well last year, it was athleisure that outstripped the rest of the competition.
(Related: Everything You Need To Know About The ‘Athleisure’ Trend)
But that doesn’t mean tailored sweatpants are poised to win the race. Think about it: we’ve been buying and wearing jeans in our droves for years. You can’t really wear a pair of glorified trackies with an Oxford shirt, nor can you style them out at a club (not least because loopback cotton turns the smallest of pint slippages into what looks like a very [very] unfortunate accident).
What’s more, designers are getting more experimental with denim than ever – dressing jeans up, or ripping them apart in all new ways. To get you up to speed, here we unpick the denim trends worth jumping onboard with in 2017.
Tired of raw jeans turning your fingernails blue? Then this one’s for you.
Partly in preparation for summer, and partly in keeping with menswear’s current penchant for all things nineties, designers are retiring their unwashed denim styles in favour of jeans paler than a grunge band frontman on a comedown.
“There’s been a move away from the typical mid-wash towards lighter washes that are perfect for summer,” says Mr Porter junior buyer Robyn Ferris, whose noticed brands such as Nudie, Acne Studios and Our Legacy expanding their offering of washes in recent seasons.
(Related: How To Wear Light Wash Denim Without Looking Like Your Dad)
“Most brands are circulating around that classic Levi’s 501 stonewash shade, which is a great outfit base to build on with pastel T-shirts and shirts,” says Thom Scherdel, buyer at The Idle Man.
From light indigo to sky blue, the market’s awash with washes that offer the perfectly pale counterpoint to punchy colour up top. But beware, light washes tend to work best for light men, so stick with medium to dark washes if your thighs are more rugby forward than fashion model.
(Related: The Perfect Jeans For Your Body Type)
- Allsaints Inez Cigarette Jeansfashion trendy women’s stretchy leggings pants tights pictures src="http://articles1.fashionbeans.com/thumbnails/2017/Mar/09/ME016L-2824-1-fb17071.jpg" alt="Allsaints Inez Cigarette Jeans">
- The Idle Man Slim Fit Jeans Stone Wash
- Topman Bleach Wash Blue Stretch Skinny Jeans
- Topman Bleach Wash Blue Stretch Slim Jeans
- Zara Premium Slim Fit Jeans
- He By Mango Skinny Light Wash Jude Jeans
- Reiss Fairbourne Light Wash Slim Jeans Light Blue
- River Island Light Blue Wash Sid Skinny Stretch Jeans
- River Island Light Blue Wash Sid Skinny Jeans
- Levis Vintage Clothing 1969 606 Jean Alone Again Or
- Orslow 105 Standard Selvedge Denim
- Nudie Jeans Skinny Lin Organic Stretch-denim Jeans
If ubiquity spelt the end for bootcut jeans, are spray-on skinny styles on their last legs?
Not necessarily. First off, bootcut jeans are abominations, plain and simple. Secondly, it’s not that skinny jeans aren’t a viable wardrobe option; they are – and they’re flattering, which is more than can be said for a pair of ol’ blue line-dancers – but they’re just not ‘fashionable’.
Why? Because designers today are quicker to take their cue from skaters than rockstars. Therefore, if you really want to prove your style cred, it’s time to swap the sewn-on fits for something roomier. “[We’re seeing] a more mature, straight fit (that’s also often cropped) becoming more prevalent,” says Ferris, who describes designers’ latest looser cuts as a contemporary take not to be mistaken for ‘dad jeans’. (Which are, in their truest form, basically high-rise denim Hammer pants).
“Once you try a wider leg, you’ll instantly feel a sense of comfort and flexibility,” says Scherdel, who’s seen Dickies’ 874s – The Idle Man’s “best-selling bottoms” – fly off the shelves since the retailer started stocking them.
The secret to pulling off a relaxed fit? “Keep whatever you’re wearing up top fitted,” says Scherdel. To nail the ideal up-down balance, pair generously sized jeans with a simple white Oxford shirt or long-sleeved T-shirt.
(Related: 10 Notoriously Difficult Menswear Pieces – And How To Wear Them)
- Lee 101 Z Dry Selvedge Straight Fit 19oz Unwashed Jeans
- Herculie Classic Jeans
- Levis Jeans 501 Straight Fit Stonewash
- He By Mango Straight-fit Dark Bob Jeans
- A.p.c. New Standard Jean Grey Stretch
- Lot 22 Dean – Raw Italian Selvedge
- River Island Mid Blue Wash Dean Straight Leg Jeans
- He By Mango Straight-fit Medium Wash Steve Jeans
- He By Mango Straight-fit Dark Marc Jeans
- Nudie Steady Eddie Jean Crispy Crumble
- Levis Vintage Clothing 1947 501 Jean New Rinse
- A.p.c. New Standard Regular-fit Dry Selvedge Denim Jeans
This year, britches are getting busted. If up until now men’s jeans could be neatly divided into two camps: neat, slim, unwashed replacements for smart trousers; and neat, skinny, stretch-heavy replacements for sweatpants; this year’s are going back to basics with rips, distressing and hems rawer than Gwyneth Paltrow’s dinner.
“After almost a year as a women’s denim must-have, we’re beginning to see a lot of frayed and unfinished hems crossing over to men’s,” says Lisette Geller, managing editor of riveting denim blog Denimology.
“They’re a standout trend because they’re such a simple way of updating your [look],” agrees Scherdel, who also says he’s seen countless menswear press and buyers rocking raw hems at shows recently.
Mr Porter’s Ferris is also jumping into the fray this season: “A raw hem is particularly popular on a slightly cropped jean,” she says, citing Simon Miller, the LA-based label which uses Japanese fabrics and advanced distressing techniques, as a must-buy for its refined take on the raw trend.
Doing raw right is all in the styling, so refrain from cooking up anything that would spoil its low-key vibe. “Raw-hemmed jeans make for quite a grungy look, so best to keep your look pared-down with a skate-style T-shirt and Vans,” says Ferris.
Along the same straggly line, it looks like knee slashes and all-over rips are sticking around, too. So you’ll probably have to put up with older relatives saying things like, “Did you pay extra for those holes?” a little longer.
(Related: How To Distress Your Jeans)
- Heros Heroine Skinny Fit Jeans In Blue With Raw Hem
- Allsaints Baker Sid Jeans
- The Idle Man Slim Fit Raw Hem Jeans Stone Wash
- Saint Laurent Skinny-fit Raw Hem Denim Jeans
- Zara Skinny Trousers
- Zara Raw Edge Skinny Jeans
- He By Mango Ripped Details Dylan Jeans
- He By Mango Cropped Slim-fit Ethan Jeans
- River Island Dark Blue Wash Ripped Jimmy Tapered Jeans
- Palm Angels Regular Fit Ripped Jean Light Wash
- Sacai Slim-fit Cropped Washed-denim Jeans
- Remi Relief Frayed Denim Jeans
Make Do And Mend
While one faction of menswear designers is all about blowing denim apart this year, another is stitching it right back together.
“The influence of [labels such as] Vetements and Re/Done has seen a wave of designers rework and refurbish denim with a focus on reducing, reusing and recycling the hard stuff to create new looks,” says Samuel Trotman, denim editor at trend forecasting network WGSN. “Jackets and jeans are deconstructed and spliced back together using a clever mix of garment piecing.”
Worth a look, he says, are Needles (the brainchild of revered Japanese brand architect Keizo Shimizu) and Atelier & Repairs (the upmarket upcycling outfit with stores in LA and London), pants both of which serve up some double-take-worthy retooled denim.
(Related: Buy Better Jeans With The 6 Cs Of Denim)
Popping down the local in Alessandro Michele’s embroidered exotic snakes and florals might be pushing the needle too far for some, but Gucci isn’t the only label dressing denim up this year.
From Off-White’s metalhead printed jeans to Philipp Plein’s embroidered styles worthy of an off-duty Conor McGregor, bells and whistles have gone from off-the-wall to on-trend.
(Related: Men’s Spring/Summer 2017 Fashion Trends Preview)
“Big and bold looks are best for denim jackets, while localised placements on jeans are a great way to give five-pocket styles statement appeal,” says Trotman.
Want to try the embroidery trend on for size? There’s never a better time than during the summer months. Though, consider the weight as well as the wash to ensure your bottom half remains more stylish than swampy.
- Liquor & Poker Embroidered Denim Cactus Shirt
- Liquor & Poker Denim Trophy Jacket Tiger
- Asos Denim Jacket With Embroidery & Borg Collar In Blue Wash
- Topman Art Disco Black Badged Denim Jacket
- Topman Blue Doodle Print Denim Jacket
- Zara Embroidered Jacket
- River Island Blue Wash Badge Western Denim Jacket
- River Island Black Slim Cut Sun Embroidered Shorts
- Topman Black Badge Ripped Slim Denim Shorts
- Alexander Mcqueen Badge Embroidered Jeans
- Gucci Slim-fit Embroidered Stonewashed Denim Jeans
- Gucci Floral-embroidered Slim-leg Jeans
Ovation nx-Amplifier: A 100 W class AB Current Feedback What to wear for job interview at macy's
Cinderella Party Birthday Express
Date Night Makeup Ideas and Skincare Tips
Acoustic Guitar Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave
Black and Gold Galaxy S3 Wallpapers iphone. - Pinterest
Washington State Legislative Internship Program - leg. wa.gov
Women's Dresses Debenhams
42 Awesome Takes on The Beatles Sgt. Pepper s Album Cover Art
Armani Exchange Black Dial Leather
Monsoon Baby Girl Special Occasion